Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Surprise!

Unexpected surprises come to those who wait. During (yet another) hot afternoon of chimp searching, we correctly guessed the chimps' direction of travel and quickly took a shortcut to the crossroads (yes, there is a road bisecting the forest) to wait. I sat as bikes rolled down the hill, women collected water from the stream, and the heat grew more intense. For a brief moment, there was silence and I found myself alone at this busy intersection of wildlife and humanity. My solitude did not last long, as I heard rustling in the undergrowth.

Abooki popped his head out to check the scene, and was visibly startled to see me approximately 25 feet away on the hillside. (SIDE NOTE: Abooki is an adult male who I suspect is alpha, or on his way up. According to field guide Joseph, Komuntu and Sukari share alpha position, but I have reason to believe otherwise. Aside from being first in line in group travel, I have seen only Abooki copulate with the one female in estrous, Kangeye. All other females have nursing infants, so this may be the males' one chance to compete for copulation for several more years, assuming she conceives this month. No other males have been seen to attempt copulation with Kangeye, and it is often the case that powerful alpha can have sole "mating rights" with estrous females).

Ok back to the story- I'm on the road as the chimps are preparing to cross from one side of the forest to the other. Abooki has seen me and lays low. Kemoso, a female with infant Elvis, and adult male Sukari also check me out. We are each watching, anticipating the others' next move. Since I am alone and greatly outnumbered (14 to 1), and since I want to gain their trust, I do my best "apprehensive chimp" impersonation. I slightly shift my weight and loudly scratch my arm. Luckily I am wearing long black sleeves so the sound is audible to them. I divert my gaze towards my lap, and clear my throat in a submissive pant-grunt manner. I peek up to gauge their reaction. Not quite convinced, so I continue to scratch loudly. Abooki and Kemoso step out onto the road.

At this point, I cant help but look at them closely to learn to identify their unique features . All the adult males, plus Kemoso carrying Elvis, pass in front of me, and the other females with infants pass behind me. I'm surrounded for an instant by these now silent stewards of the forest, the victims of human encroachment. I notice Kemoso is missing her entire left leg, but still hobbles across the road with infant in tow. Kakono carries Ajabu, and is careful not to touch the stump of her missing hand to the ground. Once they have passed, I try ot count them for a group composition census before they disappear into the green. I count and recount 13. Is that everyone? Suddenly the silence is broken by Ritch, still on the other side, who whimpers and scrambles across the road to catch up. The wire snare around his wrist and fingers glitters in the afternoon sunlight; he was trailing behind because of the limp this recent (3 weeks) injury causes. Vets have tried unsuccessfully to dart him to remove the snare- otherwise his hand will become infected, gangrenous, and fall off, if not kill him from septicemia. Now he is suffering, but hopefully soon he will be yet another survivor in the blighted Kasokwa community. Im glad my impression was good enough to convince them it was safe to cross so close to me.

No comments: