Monday, February 25, 2008

A lesson in Sharing

So the other day I was baking cookies to celebrate my admission to the PhD program at he University of St Andrews (!!!) and an old woman stopped by to chat with Prossy (our cook- i was showing her a favorite muzungu recipe- chocolate chip!). This old woman kept eyeing me and the plate of cookies curiously. to be polite, i offered her one to try. She smiled and took the plate, and began eating one. Prossy whispered to me, "are you sure you want to give her all of those?"

ME:"of course not, Im taking these to the meeting at Sonso tomorrow, I just offered her one."
PROSSY: "she thinks you are giving her the whole plate."
ME: "can we ask for it back? i didnt know..."
Prossy asks the woman to return the plate of cookies, and after swallowing her third one, she responds "I am still needing it."

This old woman ate the entire plate of cookies that I had toiled over a charcoal fire for nearly two hours to create in merely two minutes!! She of course had never eaten cookies before, and certainly acted that way.

After the woman left, Prossy suggested that in the future, if i want to share, I should choose the smallest single item and hand it to the person, meanwhile hiding the rest of the stash.

Since when are either of these behaviors "sharing"????

No comments: